1. Anonymous. Vitamin D supplementation in the elderly Lancet 1: 306-307, 1987.
2. Chapuy MC, Chapuy P, Mennier PJ. Calcium and vitamin D supplements. Effects on calcium metabolism in elderly people. Am J Clin Nutr 46: 324-328, 1987.
3. Chapuy MC, Arlot ME, Duboeuf F et al. Vitamin D3 and calcium to prevent hip fractures in elderly women. N Engl J Med 327: 1637-1642, 1992.
4. Crombie IK. Distribution of malignant melanoma on the body surface. Br J Cancer 43: 842-849, 1981.
5. Gaby SK, Singh VN. Vitamin intake and health: A scientific review. New York: Marcel Dekker. p 59-70, 1990.
6. Garland CF, Garland FC. Do sunlight and vitamin D reduce the likelihood of colon cancer? Int J Epidemiol 9: 227-231, 1980.
7. Garland C, Shekelle RB, Barrett-Connor E et al. Dietary vitamin D and calcium and risk of colorectal cancer. Lancet 1: 307-309, 1985.
8. Garland CF, Comstock GW, Garland FC et al. Serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D and colon cancer. Lancet 2: 1176-1178, 1989.
9. Garland FC, Garland CF, Gorham ED et al. Geographic variation in breast cancer mortality in the United States. A hypothesis involving exposure to sular radiation. Arch Environ Health 45: 261-267, 1990.
10. Garland CF, Gorham ED, Young JF. Geographic variation in breast cancer mortality in the United States: A hypothesis involving exposure to solar radiation. Prevent Med 19: 614-622, 1990.
11. Haug S, Muller F, Aukrust P, et al. Subnormal serum concentrations of 1,25-vitamin D in human immunodeficiency virus infection: Correlation with degree of immune deficiency and survival. J Infect Dis 169:889-92, 1994.
12. Koh HK, Kligler BE, Lew RA. Sunlight and cutaneous malignant melanoma. Evidence for and against causation. Photochem Photobiol.19: 614-622, 1990.
13. Kroger H, Penttila I, Alhava E. Low serum vitamin D metabolites in women with rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol 22: 172-7, 1993.
14. Lips P, van Ginkel FC, Jongen MJ et al. Determinants of Vitamin D status in pahents with hip fracture and in elderly control subject. Am J Clin Nutr 46: 1005-1010, 1987.
15. MacLaughlin J, Holick MF. Aging decreases the capacity of human skill to produce vitamin D3. J Clin Invest; 76: 1536-1538, 1985.
16. McAlindon T, Felson D, Zhang Y, et al. Relation of dietary intake and serum levels of vitamin D to progression of osteoarthritis of the knee among participants in the Framingham study. Ann Intern Med 125; 5: 353-9, 1996.
17. Norman AW. Vitamin D. In: Present knowledge in nutrition.7th edn.Washington DC: International Life Sciences Press. p 120-129, 1996.
18. Omdahl JL, Garry PJ, Hunsaker LA et al. Nutritional status in a healthy elderly population: Vitamin D Nutritional status in a healthy elderly population: Vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr 36: 1225-1233, 1982.
19. Parfitt AM, Gallagher JC, Heaney RP et al. Vitamin D and bone health in the elderly. Am J Clin Nutr 36: 1014-1031, 1982.
20. Reed A et al. 25-hydroxy vitamin D therapy in children with active juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: Short-term effects on serum osteocalcin levels and bone mineral density. J Pediatr 119; (4): 657-60, 1991.
21. Sowers MR, Wallace RB, Lemke JH. The association of intakes of vitamin D and calcium with blood pressure among women. Am J Clin Nutr 42: 135-142, 1985.
22. Sowers MF, Wallace RB, Hollis BW et al. Relationship between 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D and blood pressure in our geographically defined population. Am J Clin Nutr 48: 1053-1056, 1988.
23. Vagero R, Ringback G, Kiveranta H. Vagero Melanoma and other tumors of the skin among office, other outdoor/indoor workers in Sweden. Br J Cancer 53: 507-512, 1986.
24. Webb AR, Holick MF. Influence of season and latitude on cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D3. Ann Rev Nutr 8: 375-399, 1988.
25. Wiedmann KH, Brattig NW, Diao GD et al. Serum inhibiting factors (SIF) are of prognostic value in acute viral hepatitis. Lancet i: 307-309, 1985.
Joseph E. Pizzorno Jr., Michael T. Murrey & Melvyn R. Werbach.